Guiuan, Eastern Samar – Part 2

After our short stop at the church, our tricycle driver took us to the White Sand Beach. At first I kept hearing “swimming pool” from the driver. Geez, I did not just spend 25 hours on the road just to see a swimming pool. I was at the back of the tricycle so I couldn’t hear him well. He must have been referring to the natural pool in the beach.

When we got there, we rented a cottage that was originally at P250. Emma or Ge Ann or maybe both of them were able to haggle it down to P150. We weren’t staying the entire day anyway.


There was a nice rock that I thought looked like Mount Connor in the Australian Outback. This one has plenty of vegetation though.


It was still low tide so there was not a lot of water in front of the beach.


There were a few pools though, which might have been what the driver was referring to earlier, that were deep enough to dip in.



Wildlife was flourishing in these waters, most likely because of the mangroves in the surrounding area. There was a pool that appeared to be a little coral reef because of the number of fishes swimming in it. There were starfishes lurking everywhere that I think I might have stepped on a lot of them while walking. Sorry!


Jao even saw a flatfish. I’ve never seen one before.

No fish was harmed when this photo was taken.


While Emma and Ge Ann were resting in our cottage, the tricycle driver told them of another nearby beach where there was enough water to swim in. So after an hour or so in this White Sand Beach, we headed to that other beach called Boro Boro.

Boro Boro is a public beach so there was no entrance fee or any other fee. It started to rain when we got there so we were a little wet. But hey we were on the beach. We were supposed to get wet.

We first stopped under a rock near the entrance of the beach to take shelter from the rain. Just right next to us were some drunk students so I was a little worried that they might get too rowdy. This stop that we made would become very significant later on.

When the rain appeared to slow down, we proceeded to walk towards the spot where a bigger pool of water was located. Depending on your energy, it was either a short or a long walk.



The view of the shore while we were walking made me feel like I was somewhere medieval. The watchtower (Simon later told me this was PAGASA’s watchtower) slightly covered by the mist on the other side looked like a castle or a fortress of some sort. It felt a little Game of Throne-ish (or Thrones-ish but that sounds weird).



I immediately hit the water when we got to that spot. I took off my slippers thinking it would just slow me down in the water. Bad move! The seafloor was full of rocks it made me even slower now that I didn’t have anything to protect my feet.

Jao then gathered us to take some pictures and videos with his GoPro. I’ll upload the video later once Jao is done editing it. For now, here is a picture of us having fun on the beach.



After some more pictures and 360 videos, we went back swimming. I made sure to wear my slippers this time.



Things went awry when we got back to shore. It was all because of my absent-mindedness. My first sin of the day (or my second as I wasn’t aware yet of another I did before this) was stepping on Jao’s sunglasses. It was just lying in front of me and I didn’t see it while I was hurrying to change.

The second mistake (or the first, phew!) I did was leaving my wallet on that spot where we first stopped when we got to Boro Boro beach. It was the most possible spot where I left it because the last time I clearly remember holding on to my wallet was when we stopped in front of a store outside the beach. Then we proceeded to that spot under a rock near the drunken students.

I panicked when I realized this. The cash which was my entire budget for this trip and my ATM were inside that wallet. It was just a big coin purse actually so my other documents were not in there. Thankfully, when we got back to that spot, my wallet was still there untouched. It must have been mistaken for trash or the people were just so honest. Either way, I am thankful to the people of Guiuan because of that. You just don’t know the relief I felt when we found it.

After rejoicing for a moment, we asked our tricycle driver to take us back to the town proper of Guiuan. We were told earlier that the last trip going back to Tacloban was at 5pm so we made sure to leave Boro Boro at 4pm. Our next destination was Lawaan but we would still have to take the Tacloban-bound van to get there.

We alighted in front of Van-Van’s terminal. When it was time to pay the tricycle driver, he asked us for P800 which was a far cry from the P50 per head he quoted us earlier. He was insisting that because he guided us and stayed with us, he was charging that amount. There must have been a misunderstanding somewhere here but we ended up paying him P600.

Anyway, Van-Van no longer has vans going to Tacloban so we walked towards the terminal of Duptours. Thankfully, they still had one trip available where we got on immediately.



5 thoughts on “Guiuan, Eastern Samar – Part 2”

  1. nice! a view from boroboro. the dome on the pagasa radar has been restored now. thats my hometown by the way. thanks for the blog.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s